2010/09/02

Malaysia Boleh...jadi RACIST. Part 3

I was reading Khoo Kay Peng's blog (Straight Talk).
I read about Najib's indecision when it comes to the zero tolerance thing.

For starters, I would say that Namewee had it coming. He said he loves Malaysia and wants to make it a better place for ALL Malaysians, but honestly, after watching his videos I can't find anything in myself to agree with the way he conducts himself in a video. Sure, bad words attract crowds, but really, is it the way you foster good will? 
I sometimes agree with the messages he tries to preach, but the presentation would have been so much better if he had practiced more tact.

About the headmistresses case please refer to Malaysia Boleh...jadi RACIST. I've said everything I wanted to say there.

 Anyway, Pak Najib. Play your cards well, but let as far as I can see, it's a "damned if you do, damned if you don't/ telan mati bapa, luah mati emak" problem. Easiest way out I can see is to prosecute both parties. As I said, Namewee had it coming. He just couldn't express himself better. And the 2 headmistresses should be used as a warning to the other civil servants.
Just as Yong Vui Kong might serve as a warning to the other teens of the reality of drug trafficking.
If Ibrahim Ali, Chua Soi Lek and Bung Mokhtar are thrown in, it'll be a real sweet deal.

I was also unpleasantly surprised by the mention of Dr Ridhuan Tee's name as one of the guys who are named as instigators of racism, 'cos I did have a great deal of respect for him. Until, of course, I found out that he HAS a blog and read it. My respect for him was unceremoniously diminished, somewhat.

I used to have a lot respect for the guy cos he was this Chinese guy who dared to convert into Islam when it was such a taboo thing to do at the time. (Still is for some reasons) He was on tele doing a few series of talks about Islam and seemed (to the young, impressionable me) to be really knowledgeable about Islam, more than some of the so-called ustaz. He was a charismatic speaker, fluent in Malay, yet held on to his Chinese roots.
Or so I thought.

Some years later, I saw his name and read his blog. The crystal cracked.
"My God, he lived in a bubble??!" was my first reaction. What was this "ultra kiasu" thing he's spewing? Yeah, I do admit that some Chinese are real bastards, but isn't it the same for all? In every group that makes up the population, there are bound to be good and bad people. 
Let's talk about stereotypes.
  1. Malays are lazy.
    • NOT TRUE. At least not all of them. Some of my Malay friends are extremely hardworking. In fact, I actually get very disappointed by Chinese people in group work cos they don't pull their own weight.
  2. Chinese are rich.
    •  NOT TRUE. Why the heck do you think there are Chinese laborers. For KLites, go to Jalan Alor and Sam Peng Flats to see the POOR Chinese, and Bangsar to see the RICH Malays.
  3. Orang asli are poor.
    • NOT TRUE. One of the settlements in Dengkil area has reasonably higher paid Orang Asli (Temuan, if I'm not mistaken). They own tar roads, concrete houses, running water and electricity and cars (not Proton, Perodua or Naza, mind you). I've a Semai friend whose family is pretty well off.
  4. Indians are stupid.
    • NOT TRUE. Who do you think are the real kings of Silicon Valley and Hospitals? Who came up with THAT stereotype anyways?
So anyway, Dr Ridhuan, come out of that bubble and look at all of us Malaysians in the fairer manner.
Oh, and please get your facts straight. The Malays are not the indigenous people of Malaysia. The Orang Asli are. The Malays are just as immigrant as the Chinese and Indians. Only difference is that they were here longer than the others. Where did you think Parameswara, orang Bugis, orang Minangkabau, Adat Perpatih  Adat Temenggong, etc. came from?
Did you know that the chillies synonymous with Malay cuisine was introduced by the Portugese?

Bet you didn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment